Story Category: Byrd's Eye View On Youth Sports »
St. Mary's County Recreation & Parks Announces Junior Coaches' Program
St. Mary's County, MD - 9/5/2011
Recreation and Parks would like to announce its new Junior Coaches’ Program, which will begin this winter sports season. The purpose of this program is to provide additional sports related opportunities for high school students and to set a standard for effective coaching. A maximum of six (6) junior coaches will be selected for the first year of the program.Winter sports coaches will volunteer to serve as mentors for the junior coaches and will be approved by Recreation and Parks. First-year coaches are not eligible to participate in the Junior Coaches Program. Applications are available on the Recreation & Parks website: www.stmarysmd.com/recreate .
The Junior Coaches’ Program training is a proactive approach toward making a significant impact on the future of youth sport coaching in St. Mary’s County, and targets the younger generation of coaches, with the goal of creating a consistent standard for coaching. As student athletes age, the sports opportunities available to them decrease. The Junior Coaches’ Program creates more opportunities for youth interested in alternative ways of participating in sports by teaching them leadership skills that make it possible for them to seek employment as junior coaches. Through this program, youth coaches will gain self-confidence, understand their personal motivations, and develop an interest in becoming leaders.
Some of the benefits of being a Junior Coach include:
- Establish job and character references
- Practice teaching and leadership
- Enjoy personal growth and expanded self-esteem
- Learn to work with children and adults
- Must submit a Student Coach Application Form to the Recreation & Parks Sports Coordinator
- Must submit 2 letters of recommendation from teachers, coaches, or other members of the community
- Be entering junior or senior year of high school
- Must complete a training session conducted by Recreation & Parks staff
- Possess a strong work ethic
- Experience working with young people
- Ability to put the needs of others first
- Positive character and ability to make difficult decisions in the face of adversity
- Ability to relate to adults of all ages, as well as to children
- Flexibility and ability to accept supervision and guidance
- Good communication skills
For more information, please contact Kyle Kebaugh at 301-475-4200 ext. 1803.
Be The First To Comment On This Story!
This feature is only available to registered members.
Register for free today
to take full advantage of The Bay Net's features!
To Register: Click Here
Already a Registered Member? Log In Below:
Send This Story to a Friend!