Story Category: Live Updates »
Prevent Smoking & Fireworks Related Fires
State Fire Marshal William E. Barnard reminds all Marylanders of the dangers of fire as a result of improperly extinguished smoking materials and fireworks. “The abnormally dry conditions we are experiencing have the potential to cause fires around dwellings, outbuildings, dry vegetation and mulch,” stated Barnard. “Many of these fires can quickly result in damage to structures and vast areas of vegetation”. The State Fire Marshal offers the following tips and guidelines when choosing an activity such as smoking or using legal fireworks.
ØSmoke outside of the home and ensure to use deep, sturdy ashtrays with a wide stable base. Consider using water or a non-combustible container filled with sand for extinguishment.
ØMake sure remains of smoking materials are completely out, every time.
ØEnsure smoking materials and ashes are thoroughly cooled before throwing them away.
ØIf you have a gathering, inform any smokers of a designated smoking area and check the area frequently to ensure smoking materials have been completely extinguished.
ØNever allow smoking when home medical oxygen is in use.
ØWhen operating a vehicle do not toss lit cigarettes out of the window. Use an ashtray to fully extinguish the remains before placing in an appropriate receptacle at your destination.
ØConsider attending one of the numerous public fireworks displays scheduled throughout Maryland every year. Leave fireworks to the professionals. Check the Maryland State Fire Marshal website at: www.mdsp.org/firemarshal for listed public fireworks displays throughout the state.
ØFor those individuals who insist on the use of consumer fireworks:
ØPurchase the fireworks in the location where you intend to discharge them. Check with the local municipality to determine what fireworks are considered legal for use in that area.
ØRead and follow label warnings and instructions.
ØPrior to igniting fireworks, wet down the entire area to help prevent errant sparks from igniting vegetation.
ØDo not allow small children to use fireworks. Sparklers burn at approximately 1,200°F.
ØDo not consume alcoholic beverages while using fireworks.
ØHave a bucket of water or hose available.
ØEnsure to completely douse remains of fireworks before proper disposal.
Comment On This Story!
This feature is only available to registered members.
Register for free today
to take full advantage of The Bay Net's features!
To Register: Click Here
Already a Registered Member? Log In Below:
Send This Story to a Friend!