Our worship ranges from the traditional Episcopal rites (both I and II) on Sunday mornings, to loud liturgies that are beyond description on Sunday night. Our education program serves all ages: with classes for kids, forums for adults and a smattering of small group studies and book clubs thrown in between.
Our parish has voted to tithe ten percent of our budget to support outreach projects- some as close to home as Project ECHO, and some as far away as Sri Lanka. It's a fair start. But, in all things, we are only just at the beginning of what we are called to do, and look passionately to the challenge of becoming all that God intends for us to be.
One of the original parishes of the province of Maryland, Christ Church began as a log church standing as early as 1672. The present brick church dates from 1772 and has continued as a place of worship to this day.
For over 300 years, this house of worship has served the ministry of Christ's work in the world. With roots deep into the traditions of St.Mary's County, we believe that we are called to be a community of prayer, dedicated to proclaiming a lively faith in God and service to others in the Name of Christ.
This L-shaped stone-faced church includes a heavy, squat square bell tower in the northwest corner. The tower's bell-cast pyramidal roof is topped by a ball finial. The construction of the sanctuary was completed in 1903. Lynn Glassbrook, Pastor.
Reconstructed colonial home (1680) reminiscent of the life and architecture of Maryland's early settlers. Located on the La A late 17th Century frame house saved from destruction and lovingly and faithfully restored. Currently being used by the College of Southern Maryland as an office.
GSPC is a congregation of about 250 members. Our congregation is drawn principally from Waldorf, LaPlata, and surrounding Charles County. Others come from both northern St. Mary's County and southern Prince Georges County.
GSPC was founded in 1977 as the first Presbyterian Church (USA) congregation in Charles County. The "Good Samaritan" name was chosen to reflect the model of Christian caring and service that we sought to become. That ideal is reflected in our motto, "We could care less - but we have decided to care more."
During September-May there are normally three Sunday worship services: the "quiet service" at 8:00 am, a praise-style service at 9:00 am, and traditional service at 11:00 am. A variety of Sunday School classes from young children through adults begins at 9:45 am.
We would be pleased to have you visit with us at any time. For much more information about us, please visit our website at www.gspc.cc.
John Wesley Chapel once stood as one of the earliest African American Methodist Episcopal churches in St. Mary's County, MD. It's large number of grave sites are marked by engraved tombstones, fieldstones or depressions, south of a pile of rubble which marks the site of the chapel.
The monastery was founded in 1790 by four Carmelite nuns. It was the first monastery of religious women in Colonial America. The monastery is still the active home of the discalced Carmelite Nuns of the Carmel of Port Tobacco. The Carmelite life is a call to prayer, tempered with hard work and shared community. As there is a great need in the Church for both Marys and Marthas, the Carmelite is called to be that Mary--serving the Church by prayerfully sitting at the feet of our Lord. She is the intercessor in an age that cries out for intercession.