Build a lavish resort town on the shores of the Chesapeake Bay, with reliable and covenient railroad service from Washington and Baltimore. That was the vision of Otto Mears an independent, short line railroad builder from Colorado. The old railway station was converted into a museum in 1979. It offers a history of the railway and a multimedia look at resort life and transportation in the early 1900's.
Darnall's Chance, the oldest house in Upper Marlboro, was built circa 1704 and served as the residence of notable Marylanders Colonel Henry Darnall and his great-grandsons, Archbishop John Carroll and Daniel Carroll II. The home was remodeled in 1858, and restored in 1988. An unusual 18th century burial vault is located on the grounds. This 1.5-story historic house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The facility is open to the public by appointment, and walk-in tours are available. Additionally, the building (with a capacity of 100) and grounds are available for rentals for weddings, receptions, meetings, and other business and social events. Please call for an appointment and/or additional information about tours, rental opportunities, and fees.
The mission of this state archeology museum is to study, interpret and preserve the diverse cultures of Maryland during 12,000 years of human development. This mission is accomplished through active educational, research, historic preservation, collections management, exhibits, conservation and facilities services as they pertain to the 550 acre National Register property, the southern Maryland region and certain statewide responsibilities. JPPM is located in historic southern Maryland. From Maryland Route 4, go south on Maryland Route 264, then south on Maryland Route 265 for 5.5 miles to the park.
Original St. Mary's County jail built in the mid-1800s. The museum exhibits county artifacts and memorabilia. This museum houses the St. mary's County Historical Society and it's many historic records. Contains a museum, a historical and genealogical library, and an information center for tourism. Displays a "lady's cell" and Dr. Phillip Bean's office as furnished and used during his practice from 1914 to 1980.
The museum of naval aviation, science, and technology. The nation's only museum dedicated to the testing and evaluation of naval aircraft. Exhibits include the rubber inflatoplane, wind tunnel models, early photos, vintage scale models, and full scale aircraft. The museum is located just outside the Patuxent River Naval Air Station (NAS), home of the U.S. Naval Test Pilot's School. Many famous astronauts received test pilot training here. The museum is open Tues. through Sat. 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Sunday 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.