St. Mary's County Public Schools (SMCPS) has developed a Student Dress Code to support a safe and positive learning environment that is free of distractions and disruptions. There is a close relationship between student dress and student behavior. Therefore, proper dress is important to setting the pattern of school and social conduct.
The Student Dress Code, to be implemented with the start of the 2008-2009 school year, states:
Clothing and Accessories in General
• Clothing displaying or suggesting profanity; sexual activity through graphic images, words, or innuendos; weapons; drugs/alcohol or drug paraphernalia; violence; or tobacco products may not be worn.
• Clothing with identifiable gang/crew representation or paraphernalia may not be worn.
• Suggestive or provocative clothing such as see-through clothing or shirts/blouses/dresses with low necklines which show cleavage may not be worn.
• Official St. Mary's County Public Schools’ athletic uniforms may be allowed at the discretion of the coach.
• Student dress for mixers (informal dances) must be in compliance with the Student Dress Code.
• Hats/Headdresses may only be worn indoors for religious or health reasons.
Shirts and Blouses
• Shirts and blouses should be continuous from the neckline to the waist of the pants/skirt/skort. Shirt straps should be at least two inches wide over the shoulder or covered by a sweater, jacket, or other shirt and in any case, strapless shirts/blouses may not be worn. The midriff area (front, back, and sides) must not be visible at any time even when seated.
• No undergarments should be exposed.
• Shirts having large armholes and neck holes, such as muscle shirts, may not be worn.
Skirts and Dresses
• Skirts, dresses, and spandex skirts should be approximately one (1) inch below the fingertips.
• Dress straps should be at least two inches wide over the shoulder or covered by a sweater, jacket, or other shirt and in any case, strapless dresses may not be worn.
Pants and Shorts/Skorts
• Pants and shorts/skorts should be secured at waist: no sagging below waist to expose undergarments.
• Tights, stretch pants, leggings, and spandex body suits must be worn with clothing which meet the skirt/dress directives.
• Shorts/skorts should be approximately one inch below the fingertips.
• Pajama pants may not be worn.
• Shoes must be worn that are safe for all activities.
• Elementary school students must wear shoes that are secured behind the ankle.
• Shoes with wheels may not be worn.
• Jewelry, belts, chains, and other accessories that may be used as or look like a weapon or create a significant disruption may not be worn.
• Studded accessories are not permitted.
Parents and students are asked to be mindful of the school system’s Student Dress Code when purchasing school clothing for the upcoming school year. In addition to being posted in the 2008-2009 St. Mary’s County Public Schools Student Handbook/School Calendar to be distributed to all students/parents in August 2008, the dress code will be posted on the school system’s website at www.smcps.org. Any questions related to this dress code should be directed to your child’s school or the St. Mary’s County Public Schools Department of Student Services at 301-475-5511, Option 2.