Fire Caused by Clogged Vent
Huntingtown, MD - 4/10/2012
By Marty Madden
The Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office has determined an early morning house fire on Solomons Island Road in Huntingtown Saturday, April 7 was an accident. According to a report submitted by Dfm. Dexter Hodges, the blaze, which was reported shortly after midnight, caused $150,000 damage to a two-story, wood-frame, single-family home on Solomons Island Road. No injuries were reported.
The fire was discovered by the homeowner. A total of 15 volunteer firefighters from Huntingtown, Prince Frederick, Dunkirk and North Beach were dispatched to the one-alarm blaze and had the flames under control in 10 minutes.
Hodges reported the fire originated in a clothes dryer vent in the laundry room.
“The fire was determined to be accidental from the vent igniting in the clothes dryer after it was clogged,” Hodges stated. “The fire extended to the wood framing around the vent and was confined to the general basement area. All occupants escaped.”
Contact Marty Madden at firstname.lastname@example.org