’Tis the season for giving! Whether you are having a holiday dinner at your home or braving the crowds to purchase gifts for the grandkids, we find ourselves in that time of year when charitable sentiment swells. This is also the time to give thanks.
Thank you Southern Maryland community members, who gave their time, money, and blood to our cause. It has helped provide lodging for over a hundred families of men, women, and children that would otherwise have nowhere to go after their home became unlivable due to fires. It also helped us serve meals and provide clothes to these innocent victims. It provided lifesaving training through our Health & Safety programs. It saved countless lives with the blood we collected. It provided emergency communication to our men and woman around the world in our Armed Services. And, the list goes on!
To continue to provide these vital services, programs and training, and more the Southern Maryland Chapter needs your continued support. Below you’ll find our wish list to Santa for the holidays and the upcoming year:
* A donation of office space/ building located in Southern Maryland to house a new Regional Red Cross Chapter house in so that we may continue to provide adequate services for our growing area.
* Volunteers to help with the design, planning, and execution of a extensive fundraising program to support the Red Cross programs in Southern Maryland.
* Someone to paint our donated vehicles the standard Red Cross Red & White colors
* A serviceable cargo van for disaster and Health & Safety programs.
* Corporate/ organizational sponsors to underwrite the purchase of cold weather outerwear for our volunteers who brave the elements responding to disasters around the clock.
* Volunteers to be trained to respond to disasters and teach first aid and CPR.
* A serviceable, towable trailer (like a garden trailer) to be used by the Red Cross communicators to build a portable antenna tower/ emergency power transport that would be used to establish critical emergency communications in remote locations in the event of a major disasters.
* Portable electric generators to provide backup power to sites of disasters to provide immediate assistance to victims.
* Digital trunking public service scanners for the disaster operations center and each of the Southern Maryland Red Cross regional offices.
* Volunteers to support our life saving mission in Southern Maryland, to deliver our Emergency Services, teach community disaster education programs in our community, to drive our emergency vehicles, and many other opportunities.
* Cash donations to support the Local Emergency Response Fund and our General operations fund. These funds maintains our ability to help victims of disaster, whether it is food, clothing, or shelter and training people to be prepared for disasters.
The Southern Maryland Chapter American Red Cross strives to be there when you need us. It is in our mission as: “... a community organization led by volunteers and guided by its congressional charter and the fundamental principles of the international Red Cross Movement, to provide relief to victims of disaster and help people prevent, prepare for and respond to emergencies.”
On behalf of the thousands of people we’ve touched locally, the employees, volunteers, and volunteer Board of Directors of the Southern Maryland Chapter, have a great Holiday Season and an even better New Year.
If you would like more information on volunteering or to address any of our wish list items to Santa, please contact the chapter at (888) 276 2767 or MikeZ@SoMDRedCross.org