At 12:20 p.m. March 24, at approximately a multiple vehicle crash occurred on northbound Rt. 2-4 at Plum Point Road, Huntingtown.

Investigation determined that John S. Porter, 37, of Waldorf, was driving a six-wheel dumptruck, towing a utility trailer with a bobcat, northbound on Rt. 2-4 approaching the Plum Point Road intersection.

The signal turned yellow then red and Porter was unable to stop prior to entering the intersection.

Porter’s vehicles struck a 1995 International School Bus (Bus #102) as it traveled through the intersection from Plum Point Road. There were no passengers on the school bus.

The driver of the school bus, Rebecca E. Carr, 52 of Prince Frederick, intended to proceed south on Rt. 2-4.

Porter’s truck struck the left side of the bus. The impact redirected the bus into and through the median just north of the intersection, and into a 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis which was stopped in the left turn lane preparing to turn left onto Plum Point Road.

The Mercury was being driven by Lisa B. Stearn, 44 of Huntingtown.

The bus struck the Mercury sedan and pushed it out of the left turn lane. The school bus came to a stop across the southbound lanes of MD Rt. 2-4.

Upon impact with the school bus, the dumptruck separated from the utility trailer. The truck came to a controlled stop in the southbound lanes just beyond the intersection. The utility trailer came to a rest in the median just north of the intersection.

Carr, the driver of the bus, and the operator of the Mercury, Stearn, were transported to Calvert Memorial Hospital for non-life threatening injuries.

Porter and his passenger, Andree R. Harrod, 43 of Lusby, refused treatment at the scene.

Units from the Huntingtown and Prince Frederick Volunteer Fire Departments and Rescue Squads responded.

The southbound lanes of Rt. 2-4 were closed for brief period to facilitate the removal of the school bus and the utility trailer.

Porter was charged with several traffic violations including failing to reduce his speed to avoid a collision and failing to stop for a red traffic signal.

A Maryland State Police representative familiar with commercial vehicles responded to the scene and conducted an investigation.