St. Mary’s County Public Schools is very pleased to announce that it is accepting nominations for outstanding principals as consideration for The Washington Post Distinguished Educational Leadership Awards.
The Washington Post Distinguished Educational Leadership Awards seek to recognize principals who go beyond the day-to-day demands of their position to create an exceptional educational environment. In presenting these awards, The Washington Post Company Educational Foundation hopes to encourage excellence in school leadership and contribute in a substantive way to the improvement of education in the Washington metropolitan area.
Nominees must be principals of an elementary, middle, or high school, and must have a minimum of five years experience as a principal, three of which must be in St. Mary’s County Public Schools. In order to satisfy award criteria, nominees must be principals who:
1. Manage effectively
2. Demonstrate and encourage creativity and innovation
3. Foster cooperation between the school and the community
4. Maintain a continuing dialogue with students, parents, faculty, and staff
5. Keep abreast of developments in the field of education
6. Encourage team spirit
7. Demonstrate leadership and exemplify commitment
8. Continue to play an active role in the classroom
9. Maintain their position as principal throughout the 2010-11 school year
10. Nominee must participate in the five day 2010 DELA Seminar to be held between July 14-26, 2010
Teachers, students, former students, parents, administrators, or the general public may submit nominations. Principals may not nominate themselves. Nomination materials must include: a minimum of two statements of support, one of which must be by a professional educator; a brief career summary and a description of contributions in each of the nomination criteria; and two color photographs of the nominee.
St. Mary’s County Public Schools will receive and screen nominations and will make the final selection for submission to The Washington Post. Nominations should be forwarded to: St. Mary’s County Public Schools, Director of Human Resources, P.O. Box 641, 23160 Moakley Street, Leonardtown, MD 20650. For more information, contact the Department of Human Resources at 301-475-5511, Ext. 194. Nominations must be received by the Department of Human Resources at St. Mary’s County Public Schools by Friday, December 11, 2009.