GREAT MILLS, Md. – On April 18, 2018, at Great Mills High School, located in Great Mills, Maryland, a school employee became aware a student was ill and possibly suffering from an overdose, due to eating a brownie which contained THC/CBG, which is derived from marijuana plants. Corporal Kristi Nelson was notified and a joint investigation with the St. Mary’s County Public Schools and the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office was initiated.

The investigation determined a fifteen year old female student made the brownies containing marijuana and subsequently sold them at school.  Numerous students consumed the brownies and became ill. Two students were ultimately transported to a local hospital for treatment. The juvenile suspect who made and sold the brownies was charged with the following:

  • CDS: Distribution School Property
  • CDS: Distribution of Marijuana
  • CDS: Possession of Marijuana
  • Reckless Endangerment
  • Disruption of School Activities

The investigation is on-going and has been continued by detectives from the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office Narcotics Division.  Anyone with information about this incident is asked to contact Detective Michael Labanowski at (301) 475-4200 extension *8033 or by email at Michael.Labanowski@stmarysmd.com. Citizens may remain anonymous and contact Crime Solvers at (301) 475-3333, or text a tip to “TIP239” plus their message to “CRIMES” (274637). Through the Crime Solvers Program tipsters are eligible for an award of up to $1,000 for information about a crime in St. Mary’s County that leads to an arrest or indictment.


Jake Heibel, Great Mills High School principal sent the following letter home to parents and guardians regarding the incident: 

I want to share with you information about an event that has affected our school today.  I am sending you this letter to give you the facts and to assure you that we have addressed this incident.

There was a phone call made for emergency support to Great Mills High School today.  Please know the students involved were examined immediately by the school nurse and ambulance services were called as a precautionary measure.  Two students were transported for non-life threatening reactions due to eating an unknown substance.  The student who consumed the unknown substance felt ill and immediately reported the incident to the school nurse.  This trust helped us ensure quick medical treatment. There was no interruption to our school day as a result of this event.

Please continue to talk with your child about ingesting unknown substances.  We appreciate the support our community offers to our school and to every one of our students.   I truly thank our entire community for your aid and assistance in keeping all of our students safe.

If you have any further questions, please call the school at 301-863-4001.  We will make every effort to answer your questions as quickly and accurately as possible.

Sincerely,

Jake Heibel, Ed.D
Principal