Calvert County residents can take their live Christmas trees, wreaths and garland to county convenience centers for recycling at no charge beginning Sunday, Dec. 26, 2021, through Sunday, Jan. 30, 2022. After Jan. 30, residents looking to recycle their trees must take them directly to the Appeal Landfill and standard yard waste fees will apply. This program does not apply to businesses. Businesses must bring holiday greenery to the Appeal Landfill where standard yard fees will apply.
All decorations, including support frames, lights and metal stands, must be removed from trees, wreaths and garlands. Trees and wreaths may not be in plastic bags or cut up. All materials will be taken to the Appeal Landfill to be mulched and made available to county residents at no charge.
Wrapping paper, cardboard boxes, holiday cards and other paper are accepted at the convenience centers for recycling at no cost any time of the year. Cardboard boxes should be flattened and all packing materials, ribbons and Styrofoam must be removed for disposal.
Calvert County Convenience Centers:
- Appeal Convenience Center – 200 Sweetwater Road, Lusby, MD
- Ball Road Convenience Center – 1045 Ball Road, St. Leonard, MD
- Barstow Convenience Center – 350 Stafford Road, Barstow, MD
- Huntingtown Convenience Center – 3666 Hunting Creek Road, Huntingtown, MD
- Mt. Hope Convenience Center – 96 Pushaw Station Road, Sunderland, MD
- Plum Point Convenience Center – 2801 Plum Point Road, Huntingtown, MD
Locations of the six convenience centers and their hours are listed on the county website at https://www.calvertcountymd.gov/1753/Locations-Hours-Fees. For more information, call 410-326-0210.
St. Mary’s County:
Beginning in December 1993, Christmas trees were accepted at the St. Andrews Landfill and Point Lookout State Park free of charge. In December 1994 the seasonal program was expanded to include drop-off locations at all six (6) County operated convenience centers and the St. Mary’s River Watershed Park. Typical collection dates are between December 26 and the end of January.
St. Mary’s County Convenience Centers:
- Charlotte Hall – 37766 New Market Turner Road
- Oakville – 26630 North Sandgates Road
- Clements – 24547 Horseshoe Road
- St. Andrews – 44595 St. Andrews Church Road
- Valley Lee – 45350 Happyland Road
- Ridge – 13939 Point Lookout Road
Each year, trees left at the convenience centers are collected and ground into mulch on-site. Approximately 20 tons of mulch is generated from the processing the Christmas Trees. Donations of mulch have also been made to the Horticulture Program.
Trees can also be dropped off at the signed areas near the park entrances and will be used to provide animal habitats. For specific times and dates contact the Point Lookout Park Service at (301) 872-5688 or the County Solid Waste Manager at (301) 863-8400. Please remove all tinsel, garland and ornaments.
For more information about the County’s recycling program, contact the St. Mary’s County Department of Public Works & Transportation at (301) 863-8400 or visit the County website www.co.saint-marys.md.us.
Recycle Christmas Trees from Dec. 26 to Jan. 9
The Department of Public Works Environmental Resources Division announces free Christmas tree drop-off locations will be available beginning Sunday, Dec. 26 through Sunday, Jan. 9. Trees must be free of ornaments, tinsel, lighting, and plastic bags. Collected Christmas trees will be shredded into mulch. A list of drop off locations and hours are listed below.
24 Hour Drop-off Sites: Christmas tree recycling sign will be posted
• Calvary Gospel Church, Route 228, Waldorf
• Charles County Courthouse, Baltimore Street, La Plata
• Pinefield Park, Pinewood Drive, Waldorf
• Route 5 Park N’ Ride, Mattawoman-Beantown Rd, Waldorf
• Radio Station Road, La Plata
• Ruth B. Swann Memorial Park, Route 210, Bryans Road
• St. Nicholas Drive, Waldorf
Facility Locations and Hours: (Please see below new facility hours beginning Monday, Jan. 6.)
• Breeze Farm Recycling Center (15950 Cobb Island Rd, Cobb Island): Mondays, Wednesdays, Saturdays 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Charles County Landfill Recycling Center (12305 Billingsley Road, Waldorf): Monday through Saturday 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Gilbert Run Recycling Center (13140 Charles Street, Charlotte Hall): Mondays, Wednesdays, Saturdays 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Piney Church Yard Road Mulch Facility (5370 Piney Church Road, Waldorf): Monday through Saturday, 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Pisgah Recycling Center (6645 Mason Springs Road, La Plata): Monday through Saturday 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
For more information, call the Department of Public Works, Environmental Resources Division, 301-932-3599 or 301-870-2778. Citizens with special needs may contact the Maryland Relay Service at 711, or Relay Service TDD: 800-735-2258.