Pets in house fire in so. maryland

Update 11/12/2016 11:40 a.m. 

Nanjemoy, MD— On Friday, Nov. 11 shortly before 5 p.m., at  Port Tobacco Road in Nanjemoy an occupant of the home awoke to find the house filled with smoke.

The occupant stated the fire came from the outside, underneath the house. Several family pets perished in the fire after attempts to rescue them. 

The fire preliminary cause was determined to be accidental due to embers from a burn barrel. 

It took 35 firefighters from Nanjemoy Volunteer Fire Department 20 minutes to extinguish the fire. The fire caused approximately $330,000 of estimated loss structural and contents within the home. 

The owner/occupants of the house are being assisted by American Red Cross.


Update 8:05 p.m.

Port Tobacco Road has been re-opened. 


Port Tobacco, MD— At approximately 5:15 p.m., a working house fire was reported at 3800 block of Port Tobacco Road. 

Rescue Squad 7 and Tanker 7 are currently en route to the 3800 block of Port Tobacco Road for a ” Working House Fire”.

Photo Courtesy of F/F Mike Wills who lives in the area.

Please avoid the area.