A family of five escaped their smoke-filled house in Waldorf Thursday morning, Feb. 6, state officials reported.

According to the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office, the blaze at the home on Middletown Road was discovered by the homeowner shortly before 1 a.m.

“The homeowner woke up to an alarming smoke alarm and upon investigation discovered heavy smoke coming from the kitchen area,” Dfm. Don Brenneman stated. “The family, including three children, was able to evacuate and call 911. The fire was the result of a problem with the washing machine, which was located in the kitchen area.”


Over 40 volunteer firefighters from Waldorf, Westlake, Bel Alton, Brandywine, Potomac and La Plata were dispatched to the one-alarm blaze. They brought the fire under control in 20 minutes.


Damage to the home is estimated at $100,000.


The homeowners—Marcus and Melinda Allen—and the three children, were displaced and are currently being assisted by the American Red Cross.


Contact Marty Madden at marty.madden@thebaynet.com