The Clean Air Partners has issued a code orange air quality alert for Charles County starting Thursday, June 11 through the weekend. The heat index is expected to be between 95 and 100 degrees on Saturday, June 13. The public buildings listed below are open during regular business hours for use by residents as cooling centers:
Capital Clubhouse (Open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, 9 a.m. – 9 p.m.)
3033 Waldorf Market Place, Waldorf
Richard R. Clark Senior Center (Open Friday, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
1210 Charles Street, La Plata
Nanjemoy Community Center (Open Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.)
4375 Port Tobacco Road, Nanjemoy
Charles County Public Libraries
(All branches open on Friday, 1 p.m.-5 p.m.; and Saturday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.)
- La Plata Branch, 2 Garrett Avenue, La Plata
- P.D. Brown Memorial Branch, 50 Village Street, Waldorf
- Potomac Branch, 3225 Ruth B. Swan Drive, Indian Head
- Waldorf West Library, 10405 O’Donnell Place, Waldorf
Outdoor Pools (Open Friday, 3:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.; and Saturday and Sunday, noon- 6 p.m.)
- La Plata High School, 6035 Radio Station Road, La Plata
- Thomas Stone High School, 3785 Leonardtown Road, Waldorf
Additional Outdoor Pool (Open Friday 3:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.; and Saturday and Sunday, noon- 5 p.m.)
- McDonough High School, 7165 Marshall Corner Road, Pomfret
Indoor Pools (Open Friday, 3:30 p.m.-9 p.m.; and Saturday and Sunday noon- 5 p.m.)
- Donald M. Wade Aquatic Center at St. Charles High School, 5305 Piney Church Road, Waldorf
- Lackey High School, 3000 Chicamuxen Road, Indian Head
- North Point High School, 2500 Davis Road, Waldorf
Fees for indoor and outdoor pools are $5 for ages 13 and older; $4 for youth ages 2-12 and seniors; free for children under age 2.
With the hot weather forecast for Charles County in the coming days, the County Commissioners are advising people to be cautious and aware during this period of extreme weather.
When the weather is extremely hot:
- Stay indoors as much as possible, and limit exposure to the sun.
- Stay on the lowest floor out of the sunshine, if air conditioning is not available.
- Eat well-balanced, light, and regular meals. Avoid using salt tablets unless directed to do so by a physician.
- Drink plenty of water. Persons who have epilepsy or heart, kidney, or liver disease; are on fluid-restricted diets; or have a problem with fluid retention should consult a doctor before increasing liquid intake.
- Limit intake of alcoholic beverages.
- Dress in loose-fitting, lightweight, and light-colored clothes that cover as much skin as possible.
- Protect face and head by wearing a wide-brimmed hat.
- Check on family, friends, and neighbors who do not have air conditioning and who spend much of their time alone.
- Never leave children or pets alone in closed vehicles.
- Avoid strenuous work during the warmest part of the day. Use a buddy system when working in extreme heat, and take frequent breaks.