Adrian Antonio Hall

Prince Frederick, MD – A Washington, DC man who was the subject of an early morning traffic stop in Calvert County this past July 10 was acquitted of all three charges filed against him. A hearing on the charges filed against Adrian Antonio Hall, 32—speeding, hindering an investigation and resisting arrest—was held over two days—Friday, Dec. 1 and Monday, Dec. 4—in District Court. Judge Robyn Riddle presided over the hearing, which included the testimony of four Calvert County Sheriff’s Office deputies—including the officer who clocked Hall traveling 76 miles in a 55 mph zone, the arresting officer and the K9 handler whose dog conducted a drug sniff. The latter action led to a search of Hall’s vehicle, which subsequently turned up nothing.

In motioning that all charges against her client be dropped, attorney Melissa Ann Miller contended that the speeding citation was not issued in a constitutionally mandated manner, a clear violation of Hall’s Fourth Amendment rights. Miller added that Hall was never told why he was being detained and since he didn’t know he was being arrested “there was no resisting arrest.”

Hall did not testify during the two-day hearing.

Previous story, posted Saturday morning, Dec. 3

Prince Frederick, MD – A hearing regarding charges filed against a Washington, DC man in connection with a traffic stop that resulted in a scuffle with police in Calvert County this past July, began Friday, Dec. 1 in District Court. Three Calvert County Sheriff’s Office deputies gave testimony about the events leading up to the arrest of Adrian Antonio Hall, 32. The hearing is to be continued early next week because a fourth deputy was unable to be present. Judge Robyn Riddle advised the officers not to discuss their testimony with anyone as they might be recalled.

Hall is charged with obstructing and hindering, resisting arrest and exceeding the maximum posted speed limit. The defendant is represented by attorney Melissa Ann Miller. The prosecutor is Calvert County Assistant State’s Attorney Montra Martin.

During the hearing, Sgt. Jason Dean testified that during the early morning hours of Monday, July 10 he was operating radar equipment—a Pro Laser 4—on southbound Route 2/4 in south end of Prince Frederick. A black Dodge Charger was traveling in the left lane in the southbound direction at a detected speed of 76 mph in a 55 mph zone. Dean radioed the information and Dfc. Jeffrey Denton, who was working as part of a “Stop Team” that morning, proceeded to pull the Dodge Charger over near the Sixes Road intersection. Denton told the court that Hall was “very argumentative. I told him this was not the time or place to argue.” Obtaining Hall’s license and registration, Denton returned to his patrol vehicle to conduct a records check. Denton received a radio transmission from the Calvert Control Center informing him that Hall had called 911 and was complaining about the traffic stop and Denton’s aggressiveness. In court documents, Denton stated it was then that he called for a K9 unit to come to scene and conduct a “K9 sniff” on Hall’s vehicle. The dog’s alert on Hall’s vehicle was positive. Another officer, Deputy Nicolas Barger, arrived at the scene to assist. Barger attempted to place Hall in handcuffs but the defendant refused to comply and also resisted handing over the phone he had in his hand. “He [Hall] told me everything was being recorded,” Barger testified. Both Denton and Barger ended up scuffling with Hall. Denton admitted he struck Hall twice during the melee after he [Hall] failed to obey his [Denton’s] commands to comply. Denton stated Hall had trapped his [Denton’s] arm during the scuffle and one of the blows was to free his arm.

Denton confirmed that the search of Hall’s vehicle did not yield any drugs. When asked by Miller why there is no video of the incident, Denton stated the dash-cam in his vehicle wasn’t working that day.

The incident became news about one week after it occurred when he posted his side of the story on Linked In. The missive, entitled “I Was Just Going to Work,” received wide circulation from a variety of media sources. It also prompted a reactionary press release from Calvert County Sheriff Mike Evans and the Sheriff’s Office. “It was learned during the stop that his wife has an active order for protection against him,” the press release stated. “Deputies began to investigate the protective order and the presence of narcotics. The commuter actively hindered that investigation by refusing to stop talking on the phone and allow a probable cause search to take place.”
It is not known at this time if Hall will testify during the hearing.

Contact Marty Madden at

Previous stories
Southern Maryland Focus September 2017

Calvert Sheriff’s Office Press Release