(PIKESVILLE, MD) –Our forefathers fought to secure our independence, so do not let impaired driving jeopardize yours, drive sober or the Maryland State Police will be there to pull you over.
Troopers will be ramping up enforcement throughout the state in an attempt to make the roads safer this Fourth of July. Traffic initiatives targeting impaired, aggressive, and distracted drivers will be conducted. A close eye will be kept out for speeders and those not properly belted as well.
Families and friends gather to celebrate this favorite American holiday with food, parades, parties, and fireworks. For many people, the celebration includes alcohol, but the holiday quickly goes from festive to fatal when people choose to drive after drinking or drive aggressively.
Troopers will be exercising zero tolerance this Independence Day. If you are caught driving drunk, you will be arrested. Keep in mind that aside from putting your life and the lives of others at risk, driving impaired can also lead to serious consequences. A DUI arrest can mean time in jail, loss of your license, and steep financial expenses.
Troopers recommend these simple tips to prevent drunk driving:
• Plan a safe way home before the fun begins.
• Before drinking, designate a sober driver.
• If you’re impaired, use a taxi, call a sober friend or family member, or use public transportation.
• If you happen to see a drunk driver on the road, don’t hesitate to contact 9-1-1.
• If you know someone who is about to drive or ride while impaired, take your friend’s keys and help your friend make other arrangements to get to where he or she is going safely.