Broomes Island, MD – State authorities have confirmed that a boater who became separated from his vessel while on the Patuxent River Friday, April 19 has died. Maryland Natural Resources Police (NRP) have also confirmed the deceased is Randy Barrett, a well-known Calvert County developer and businessman.

Barrett’s boat was located adrift shortly after being launched around noon Friday, April 19. Lieutenant Catherine Medellin told that Barrett was rescued by a Patuxent Naval Air Station helicopter crew and flown to a local hospital where he later died. It is not known at this time how Barrett ended up in the water. Weather conditions at the time of the accident were windy.

Emergency responders from Calvert and St. Mary’s initially responded to the accident. A full report on the incident is pending.

Barrett, whose business was involved in the controversial development of Armory Square in Prince Frederick, was an Owings resident.

Contact Marty Madden at

Previous report

Broomes Island, MD – An unidentified boater was rescued from the Patuxent River near Broomes Island, Friday, April 19, state and local authorities conformed. Maryland Department of Natural Resources Lt. Catherine Medellin told that the boater was rescued by a Naval Air Station Patuxent River helicopter at approximately 3:30 p.m. and flown to an area hospital. The condition of the boater is not known at this time. The boater’s vessel was located adrift shortly after being launched at noon. Medellin stated that responding officers have not determined how the boater ended up in the water of if he was wearing a lifejacket.

Previous reports

UPDATED – The boater reported missing earlier this afternoon has been located and is being flown to a local hospital. The boater’s condition is unknown at this time.

Broomes Island, MD – Shortly before 2 p.m., authorities in Calvert County reported a water rescue on the Patuxent River in the area of Broomes Island. Police have confirmed that a boat owner launched a small boat around noon. An unoccupied vessel was found adrift about 90 minutes later. Maryland Natural Resources Police are conducting the investigation with the aid of local fire and rescue.