SOMD – Porch pirates are exploiting the surge in online shopping and profiting off of stolen packages from unattended front door or apartment lobby areas. They are common at all times of the year and more so since the beginning of the Coronavirus pandemic. As the holiday season approaches and the pandemic continues on, the number of Americans who will utilize online shopping will continue to increase.
Don’t let the porch pirates ruin your holiday! Here are several suggestions to protect your purchases from being stolen:
• Install outside security cameras
• Install video doorbells
• Install home package lockboxes
• Have your package delivered to your work (if allowed)
• Have your package delivered to a friend or neighbor that you know will be home or ask your neighbor to grab your package if they see it being delivered to your home.
• Have your package held at your local post office for pickup
• Opt for in-store pickup
• Use commercial delivery lockers such as Amazon Hub Locker and UPS lockers.
• Require a signature upon delivery.
• Track your packages and use delivery alerts
• Request detailed delivery instructions
• Keep your deliver location clear and well-lit.