Updated at 4:00 p.m.

Official Press Release from the Solomons Volunteer Fire Department:

This morning the Solomons Volunteers and neighboring departments responded to a working house fire. Upon arrival we found out that it was the home of one of our own. We are blessed that the firefighter himself was on duty at the station at the time. He responded to the call on our Engine 31 to assit with the extinguishment. Crews from Solomons and neighboring departments worked hard to save what precious belongs were left. Michael Heim has been a dedicated member of the Solomons Volunteer Rescue Squad and Fire Department for 15 years. He has been a dedicated member of the county for even longer. Unfortunately everything was a total loss at the house. The department and the Red Cross are working hard to help him. Many individuals expressed sincere interest in helping also. We at Solomons have started an Official Paypal account that Michael can access to get what funds he needs to get his feet back on the ground. 

We at Solomons as always are grateful for all the community support that has been provided to our member in his time of need.

Thank You,
Solomons Volunteers


 

Updated at 12:15 p.m.

Lusby, MD – Members of the fire departments brought the fire under control within 15 minutes. All departments worked together to contain the fire to the residence only. All units cleared the scene at about 10:00 a.m.

A GoFundMe page has been created to help Volunteer Firefighter Michael Heim and can be accessed here: Volunteer Fireighter House Fire

As of this article posting $395 has been donated.


 

Lusby, MD – An early morning fire heavily damaged a two-story, single-family house on Rawhide Road in the Chesapeake Ranch Estates subdivision of Lusby Friday, Feb. 6, state officials reported.

According to the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office, the blaze was reported around 5:36 a.m.  A report filed by Dfm. Melissa Decker stated the house is owned by Michael Heim.  Calvert County Government officials have confirmed that Heim is a member of the Solomons Volunteer Rescue Squad and Fire Department (Company 3). Sources have reported to The Bay Net that Heim was one of the 40 firefighters dispatched to the scene.

No injuries were reported

“The accidental fire occurred as a result of an electrical event involving an outlet within the master bedroom,” Decker stated. “The owner was displaced and is being assisted by friends as well as the American Red Cross.”

Decker said a neighbor discovered the fire and reported it.

In addition to Company 3, firefighters from St. Leonard, Prince Frederick, Bay District, Hollywood and Leonardtown responded to the one-alarm blaze.  Crews had the flames under control in 30 minutes.

Decker and Dfm. Don Brenneman conducted the investigation.

Total damage to the home is estimated at $190,000.

Contact Marty Madden at marty.madden@thebaynet.com


UPDATED BY Marty Madden  9:30 a.m.
Lusby, MD – An early morning fire in the Chesapeake Ranch Estates subdivision of Lusby Friday, Feb. 6 heavily damaged a house on Rawhide Road. Calvert County Department of Public Safety officials have confirmed that the home belonged to a volunteer from the Solomons Volunteer Rescue Squad and Fire Department (Company 3).

Responders from Calvert and St. Mary’s counties were dispatched to the scene. According to Company 3 officials units are still at the scene.
No injuries have been reported at this time.

Contact Marty Madden at marty.madden@thebaynet.com


Lusby, MD – There was a house fire early on Feb. 6 on Rawhide Road in Lusby.

More information as it becomes available.

Reader submitted photos.