The Maryland Department of Transportation State Highway Administration (MDOT SHA) will close MD 373 (Accokeek Road) over Burch Branch today, to replace the bridge deck over Burch Branch. The bridge is safe, but the bridge deck has outlived its useful service life and needs to be replaced. Progress permitting, the work is scheduled to be complete by this fall.
Variable message boards will be used to guide motorists around the closure. Motorists trying to access MD 373 (Accokeek Road) should follow the below detours:
Traveling southbound on MD 5 (Branch Avenue):
• Continue onto US 301 (Crain Highway)
• Make a right onto MD 228 (Berry Road)
• Make a right onto MD 210 Indian Head Highway
• Make a right onto Livingston Road
• Make a left onto Bealle Hill Road
• Make a right onto MD 373
Traveling northbound on MD 5 (Branch Avenue):
• Use the Spine Road overpass to turn onto MD 5 (Branch Avenue) southbound
• Follow the directions listed for motorists traveling southbound on MD 5
MDOT SHA works hard to maintain safe traffic mobility in work zones for our crews as well as our customers. Drivers need to stay alert, focus on driving and, look for reduced speed limits, as well as other pattern changes. Drive like you work here and slow down in construction zones.