Baltimore, MD — There’s a new state program that aims to help Maryland drivers reduce outstanding fines for driving an uninsured vehicle that could help them save up to 80% off the cost of those fines.
Called, FineFix, this partnership between the Uninsured Division of Maryland Auto Insurance and the Maryland Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Administration gives eligible Marylanders the opportunity to pay 20% of their outstanding uninsured auto fines and have the remaining 80% forgiven.
Only those drivers who have uninsured auto fines that were were delinquent prior to December 31, 2016 qualify. Participants must enroll online at FineFix.Maryland.gov and make their first payment by December 31, 2019.
In the coming weeks, letters will be mailed to eligible participants directing them to the website: FineFix.Maryland.gov.
By participating in FineFix, consumers can have their MDOT MVA uninsured auto flags lifted from their registration, gain the ability to register a vehicle, and avoid having their state income tax refund intercepted by the State’s Tax Refund Intercept Program (TRIP).
The goal of the program is to lower the number of uninsured drivers and expand job opportunities for individuals and employers. “FineFix enables you to get back on the road and back to work,” said Maryland Auto Executive Director Mark D. McCurdy.
Additionally, FineFix has partnered with insurance providers, community groups, Tag and Title services, and other trusted advisors across the state to assist consumers in enrolling in the program.
FineFix participants have the option to pay in full or set up a payment plan. Payments can be made online with a credit or debit card. Cash payments can be made at Western Union locations conveniently located in supermarkets, check cashers, and convenience stores across the state, or at the state of Maryland’s Central Collection Unit (CCU).
FineFix participants who have their MDOT MVA uninsured auto flags lifted may be eligible to register any vehicles they own. Those unable to obtain auto insurance coverage for those vehicles in the standard market are guaranteed coverage from Maryland Auto.
Feedback from eligible participants who have taken advantage of this unique opportunity has been positive. “I had been haunted by uninsured auto fines for years,” said Joel O. from Arnold, Maryland. “With bills to pay and food to buy, paying the full balance was out of my reach. When the FineFix program came along, it was like somebody moved a mountain off my chest. This is a good program and I plan to get insurance in my name on two cars before the end of the fall!”
“FineFix is not simply an opportunity for Marylanders to resolve delinquent fines and get back on the road legally,” said Mr. McCurdy, “it is a new driver of economic growth for the state, allowing people to fully engage in this economy.”