Lusby, MD – A fire that originated in a garage at a Lusby residence damaged it and injured two firefighters, state investigators reported.

According to Deputy State Fire Marshal Bruce Bouch, the blaze occurred late Sunday evening, Feb. 15 at a home on Preston Lane. Bouch said a propane space heater ignited combustible materials in the garage, sparking the fire which resulted in $100,000 damage.

Two firefighters sustained minor injuries. One of the injured was treated at the scene while a second was transported to St. Mary’s Hospital with burns on his neck. He was treated and subsequently released. Bouch said he did not know the firefighters’ companies. Several firefighters from Calvert and St. Mary’s counties were dispatched to the late evening blaze.

Bouch said the home’s occupant was temporarily displaced.

A full report on the incident and investigation is expected later.

Contact Marty Madden at marty.madden@thebaynet.com

Photo courtesy of Hollywood Volunteer Fire Department