Courtesy of the Leonardtown Volunteer Fire Department

A house fire that caused the deaths of five family pets was found to be the result of an accidental electrical malfunction, investigators say. 

On Jan. 18 at 2:07 p.m, firefighters were alerted to the 44000 block of Sandy Bottom Road, Hollywood after a neighbor discovered the fire and called 911. Fifty firefighters from area departments responded in total and had the fire under control in 20 minutes, according to the investigation report. 

Officials say that an overloaded power strip located in the basement caused the fire. Sadly, one dog and four cats died during fire which also displaced the homeowners. Approximately $275,000 worth of damage was caused during the incidents. 

The family is being assisted by the  American Red Cross as well as family and friends, officials say. 

HOLLYWOOD, Md. – On Jan. 18 at 2:07 p.m. crews responded to reports of a working house fire on the 44000 block of Sandy Bottom Road, Hollywood.

Units arrived on scene to discover a single-story house with smoke and flames visible from the outside.

At approximately 3:15 p.m., the fire was reported out. During the search of the home, the body of one dog was found. Emergency communications indicate that several other pets may have also died during the fire or are missing. 

An investigation by the Office of the State Fire Marshal is pending.