California, Maryland – On June 9, 2015, at 1:53 PM, Deputies responded to an assault in progress at a residence on Halsey Court. While responding, the Emergency Communications Center (ECC) advised the suspect, identified as Anthony Fitzgerald Greenwell, age 48, of Great Mills, had forced his way into the home and assaulted a male victim. The ECC further provided the description of the car being driven by Greenwell; a blue 2001 Infiniti.

While responding, Corporal Keith Moritz saw a car matching the description exiting Halsey Court and stopped in front of it, causing the driver to stop as well. Corporal Moritz exited his patrol car and recognized the driver as Greenwell from previous law enforcement contact. Corporal Moritz told Greenwell to put the car in park, at which time he took his foot off the brake and the car began to move forward. Corporal Moritz ordered Greenwell to stop and he refused. Greenwell then suddenly accelerated and made a sharp left turn around the patrol car. The driver’s side rear tire of the Infiniti ran over the back heel and outside portion of Corporal Moritz’s right foot. Corporal Moritz was not incapacitated and immediately pursued Greenwell in his patrol car. Greenwell refused to stop and entered a residential neighborhood located off of Norris Road. Greenwell made several circles through the neighborhood – dangerously close to pedestrians. As he circled the neighborhood passing deputies, Greenwell openly smoked from a glass pipe, (later determined to contain crack cocaine). Deputy Skyler LaFave deployed STOPSTICKS which successfully deflated all 4 tires.  The vehicle’s speed was greatly reduced, however Greenwell turned onto Chancellors Run Road and then onto Pegg Road; still operating in a reckless manner, refusing to stop on his own.

Several officers, who were in the area performing their regular duties, to include Natural Resources Police, Maryland State Police, and Sheriff’s Office detectives assisted by blocking roadways leading into residential neighborhoods and shutting down traffic with their patrol cars as the pursuit progressed. They also blocked Greenwell from potentially striking a school bus.

Lieutenant David Yingling determined the car needed to be stopped before Greenwell injured a citizen, police officer, or himself or got out on Three Notch Road. At that time, Lieutenant Yingling forced Greenwell’s car off of the roadway into a grass ditch where it came to a stop.

Deputies gave Greenwell loud commands to show his hands and exit the car. He refused and at one point held a sharp metal object in his hand. Corporal Heath Adams deployed his K9 partner, Nero, through the passenger side door. Greenwell began fighting Nero at one point grabbing him by the neck and violently pushing his head into the roof of the car. Corporal Adams was able to pull Greenwell from the car as he continued to resist. Several officers were needed to place Greenwell in handcuffs. Greenwell was taken to MedStar St. Mary’s hospital for treatment of the bite wounds, prior to being incarcerated at the St. Mary’s County Detention Center.

After the pursuit was over, detectives returned to the residence on Halsey Court and determined Greenwell had driven his car right up the front door, over the lawn. He was confronted by a female, who was outside at the time. Greenwell pushed her to ground and entered the home without permission looking for someone who allegedly owed him money. A second male victim confronted Greenwell and was punched in the face. After not finding who he was looking for, Greenwell fled the scene in the Infiniti.  

Corporal Moritz was not badly injured. No citizens were injured as a result of this incident.

Greenwell was charged with 1st Degree Assault, Harm Law Enforcement Animal, 1st Degree Burglary, 3rd Degree Burglary, 4th Degree Burglary, Theft Under $1,000, 3 COUNTS 2nd degree Assault, Resisting Arrest, 2 COUNTS Possession Controlled Dangerous Substance: Not Marijuana, 2 COUNTS Possession Paraphernalia, Fleeing and Eluding, Reckless Driving, Negligent Driving, and Driving While Impaired by Controlled Dangerous Substance,