NOAA is establishing a sanctuary advisory council for Mallows Bay-Potomac River National Marine Sanctuary and is seeking applicants for 15 seats. Members of the Mallows Bay-Potomac River National Marine Sanctuary Advisory Council will provide advice and recommendations to NOAA regarding the sanctuary management plan and will act as a liaison to community and constituent groups.
Applications are being accepted for the following seats:
● Maritime Archaeology and History (2 members, 2 alternates)
● Cultural Heritage (1 member, 1 alternate)
● Recreation (Industry) (2 members, 2 alternates)
● Business and Economic Development (2 members, 2 alternates)
● Tourism and Marketing (1 member, 1 alternate)
● Education (2 members, 2 alternates)
● Research, Science and Technology (1 member, 1 alternate)
● Recreational Fishing (1 member, 1 alternate)
● Commercial Fishing (1 member, 1 alternate)
● Citizen At-Large (2 members, 2 alternates)
In addition, we are seeking applications for a member of the community, age 14-17 at the time of application, to fill a youth seat on the council as a non-voting member.
Candidates will be selected based on their expertise and experience in relation to the seat for which they are applying, community and professional affiliations, and views regarding the protection and management of marine resources. Applicants who are chosen should expect to serve three-year terms, pursuant to the council’s charter.
The advisory council will consist of 15 members and 15 alternates representing a variety of local user groups, and the general public. The council will also include non-voting government seats and seats for state recognized Tribes in Maryland and Virginia. Council representatives will meet several times each year in half to full-day public sessions at various locations.
Applications for voting seats are due July 1, 2020. Applications not received or postmarked by July 1, 2020, will not be considered. For more information, including a copy of the application, please visit the Mallows Bay-Potomac River National Marine Sanctuary Advisory Council Recruitment Webpage or contact Sammy Orlando with questions. The Mallows Bay-Potomac River National Marine Sanctuary Advisory Council will actively recruit for new members and alternates when positions are available.