Aug. 27, 2018 update: The driver has been positively identified as 16-year-old Jadyen Elise Barnes by the Maryland Office of the Chief Medical Examiner. (Photo: Jadyen Elise Barnes/Bricsoe-Tonic Funeral Home, P.A.)

A motor vehicle crash in Mechanicsville killed its sole occupant on Monday evening. The identity of the deceased is being withheld until positively identified by medical examiners.

On Aug. 20, 2018 at 10:22 p.m. the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office responded to the area of 29280 All Faith Road in Mechanicsville for the reported motor vehicle collision in which the vehicle was on fire. At the time of the accident, it was undetermined as to if the vehicle was occupied. After the fire was extinguished, the vehicle was found to have one occupant and a request for the St. Mary’s County Collision Reconstruction Unit was made.

Preliminary investigation determined a 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt, with an unidentified operator, had left the roadway and struck a tree. Upon collision, the vehicle became fully engulfed in flames with the operator trapped inside. The fire was extinguished by responding emergency fire personnel and the vehicle was found to have only one occupant in the driver’s seat. The operator succumbed to injuries and was pronounced deceased at the scene. At this time, speed appears to be a contributing factor and although the identity of the victim is believed to be known, it is being withheld pending further scientific means of positive identification.

Anyone who may have witnessed the collision and have not provided a statement to the police are asked to contact Cpl. Vincent Pontorno at 301-475-4200, ext. *2337 or email Vincent.Pontorno@stmarysmd.com.

Mechanicsville, MD – Monday evening, Aug. 20 at approximately 10 p.m. a motor vehicle collision was reported in the area of All Faith Church Road and New Market Turner Road. Authorities indicated a vehicle was on fire as responders arrived on the scene. At least one critical injury was reported. All Faith Church Road was closed for six-and-a-half hours while an investigation was conducted. 

No further details on the incident are available at this time.