PICTURE FROM THE PRINCE GEORGE’S COUNTY POLICE DEPARTMENT

Largo, MD – Police and fire officials in Prince George’s County report a family has been temporarily displaced following a fire at their townhouse in the Kettering subdivision near Largo. The blaze occurred Wednesday, Nov. 11.

According to various media reports, two children who were home at the time, smelled smoke, called the fire department and called their father on his cell phone to tell him about the incident. The father, who was not identified by authorities, got in his car to get to the scene. While en route and a short distance from the townhouse, however, he lost control of the vehicle, which flipped near the Central Avenue Enterprise Road intersection. The man then freed himself from the wrecked vehicle and ran a half-mile to his home.

Both children and the family dog managed to exit the townhouse safely. According to police and fire officials, crews transported the man to a hospital for treatment of minor injuries.

Both the fire and vehicle crash remain under investigation.

The displaced family is being aided by the Prince George’s County Services Unit and the American Red Cross.