Lusby, MD – A Calvert County man who allegedly tried to run down family members and assaulted three neighbors during an incident in his driveway April 3 has been released on $50,000 bond, authorities reported.

The suspect is identified in documents on file at District Court of Maryland for Calvert County as Michael Daniel Sater, 40 of Lusby. He was charged with three counts of first-degree assault, five counts of second-degree assault, one count of disorderly conduct and failure to obey a lawful order.

The incident was investigated by Deputy Kelly of the Calvert County Sheriff’s Office, who interviewed six people prior to charging Sater.

According to court documents, Kelly responded to the residence on Pine Boulevard in Lusby shortly after 1 p.m. One of the neighbors told Kelly that shortly before noon “he heard people arguing outside.”

The witness told police he saw “his female neighbor hanging on the side of a red Lincoln Navigator as the vehicle was driving forward then backwards in the driveway.” The neighbor indicated to Kelly that the driver made several attempts to run over his [the driver’s] son.”

According to court documents, the neighbor stated that he “started to hit the driver’s window with his first and open the driver’s door. Michael Sater stepped out of the Navigator and punched [him] in the face with a closed fist then grabbed the back of his neck.”

Another neighbor told Kelly she tried to break up the fracas but Sater “pushed her to the ground by placing one hand on her face and the other on her right shoulder.”
A third neighbor then attempted to intervene and was allegedly struck in the jaw by Sater. After throwing the punch, Sater got back in the vehicle and drove away.

The court documents indicated that prior to Sater’s return, an ambulance from the Solomons Volunteer Rescue Squad and Fire Department arrived, as did Kelly, along with Deputy Holt and Cpl. Shrawder.  Kelly stated that Sater returned to the residence after speaking by phone with his [Sater’s] wife.

The deputies asked Sater to speak with them about the incident. At first he refused but then spoke up, denying the allegations of assault towards family members and neighbors.

According to court documents, Sater was arrested after initially resisting, a move that prompted Shrawder to aim a taser at the suspect.

A preliminary hearing on the matter was tentatively scheduled for Wednesday, May 6 in District Court.

Contact Marty Madden at