PORT TOBACCO, Md. – A fire caused an estimated $100,000 worth of damage to a motorhome housing two people in Charles County, early Saturday morning. 

On Aug. 18, around 12:50 a.m., crews from the La Plata Volunteer Fire Department responded to the 7400 block of Shirley Boulevard, Port Tobacco for the report of a fire. 

Upon arrival, units discovered a 2006 Spartan Dutchstar Motorhome with fire throughout and quickly extinguished it within 10 minutes. 

Investigation revealed that the occupant was awakened by smoke filling the motorhome. The occupant went outside to investigate and saw fire coming from the exterior access panel for the refrigerator.  The fire quickly spread throughout the vehicle before it could be extinguished. The cause of the fire was ruled to be accidental.

No injuries were reported from the fire. The Office of the State Fire Marshal investigated.