St. Mary’s County
Beginning in December 1993, Christmas trees were accepted at the St. Andrews Landfill and Point Lookout State Park free of charge. In December 1994 the seasonal program was expanded to include drop-off locations at all six (6) County operated convenience centers and the St. Mary’s River Watershed Park. Typical collection dates are between December 26 and the end of January.
Each year, trees left at the convenience centers are collected and ground into mulch on-site. Approximately 20 tons of mulch is generated from the processing the Christmas Trees. Donations of mulch have also been made to the Horticulture Program. Trees can also be dropped off at the signed areas near the park entrances and will be used to provide animal habitats. For specific times and dates contact the Point Lookout Park Service at (301) 872-5688 or the County Solid Waste Manager at (301) 863-8400. Please remove all tinsel, garland and ornaments.
For more information about the County’s recycling program, contact the St. Mary’s County Department of Public Works & Transportation at (301) 863-8400 or visit the County website www.co.saint-marys.md.us.
The Department of Public Works Environmental Resources Division announces Christmas tree drop-off locations will be available beginning Thursday, Dec. 26 through Sunday, Jan. 12. Trees must be ornament, tinsel, and plastic bag free. Collected Christmas trees will be shredded into mulch for Charles County residents, while supplies last, at no charge. A list of drop off locations and hours is listed below.
24 Hour Drop-off Sites: Christmas tree recycling sign will be posted
• Calvary Gospel Church, Route 228, Waldorf
• Charles County Courthouse, Baltimore Street, La Plata
• Pinefield Park, Pinewood Drive, Waldorf
• Route 5 Park N’ Ride, Mattawoman-Beantown Rd, Waldorf
• Radio Station Road, La Plata
• Ruth B. Swann Memorial Park, Route 210, Bryans Road
• St. Nicholas Drive, Waldorf
Facility Locations and Hours: (Please see below new facility hours beginning Monday, Jan. 6.)
• Breeze Farm Recycling Center (15950 Cobb Island Rd, Cobb Island): Wednesdays, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturdays, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Charles County Landfill Recycling Center (12305 Billingsley Road, Waldorf): Monday through Saturday 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
• Gilbert Run Recycling Center (13140 Charles Street, Charlotte Hall): Wednesdays, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturdays, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Piney Church Yard Road Mulch Facility (5370 Piney Church Road, Waldorf): Monday through Saturday, 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Pisgah Recycling Center (6645 Mason Springs Road, La Plata): Monday through Saturday 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
* New Facility Operating Hours: beginning Monday, Jan. 6, 2020:
• Breeze Farm Recycling Center & Gilbert Run Recycling Center: Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Charles County Landfill Recycling Center & Pisgah Recycling Center: Monday through Saturday 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
For more information, call the Department of Public Works, Environmental Resources Division, 301-932-3599 or 301-870-2778. Citizens with special needs may contact the Maryland Relay Service at 711, or Relay Service TDD: 800-735-2258.
Calvert County residents can take their live Christmas trees, wreaths and garland to county convenience centers for recycling at no charge beginning Thursday, Dec. 26, 2019, through Jan. 31, 2020. After Jan. 31, residents looking to recycle their trees must take them directly to the Appeal Landfill and standard yard waste fees will apply. This program does not apply to businesses. Businesses must bring holiday greenery to the Appeal Landfill where standard yard fees will apply.
All decorations, including support frames, lights and metal stands, must be removed from trees, wreaths and garlands. Trees and wreaths may not be in plastic bags or cut up. All materials will be taken to the Appeal Landfill to be mulched and made available to county residents at no charge.
Wrapping paper, cardboard boxes, holiday cards and other paper are accepted at the convenience centers for recycling at no cost any time of the year. Cardboard boxes should be flattened and all packing materials, ribbons and Styrofoam must be removed for disposal.
Locations of the six convenience centers and their hours are listed on the county website at www.CalvertCountyMd.gov/Recycle. For more information, call 410-326-0210.
Prince George’s County
The county collects Christmas trees along with regular yard waste. Yard waste includes grass clippings, leaves, small branches, brush and Christmas trees. For more information about yard waste collection, dial 311. The trees and wreathes (minus ornaments, lights, metal, stands, etc) should be put on the curb before 6:30 am on regular recycling days.
You can also take your tree to:
The Yard Waste Composting Facility at 6601 Southeast Crain Highway in Upper Marlboro and the Brown Station Road Public Convenience Center at 3501 Brown Station Road in Upper Marlboro. See their websites for open hours.