Hollywood, MD – #GivingTuesday kicks off the charitable season when many focus on their holiday and end-of-year giving. Why not consider helping to build stronger nonprofit…they equal stronger communities! An easy way to do that is by using Southern Maryland Gives.
Southern Maryland Gives is an online fundraising platform sponsored by the Nonprofit Institute. It was created to foster the spirit of keeping it local by giving back to the Southern Maryland community.
…strong nonprofits equal strong communities…
Donating online through Southern Maryland Gives connects local people with local nonprofit organizations who provide services and meet critical needs in our area. People learn about the nonprofits serving our area, make a donation to support their overall mission, or to fund a specific fundraising project.
Donors can choose from a growing pool of more than 60 local nonprofits and more than 30 specific projects. Through Southern Maryland Gives, donors have given more than $15,000 to local organizations.
In honor of #GivingTuesday on Tuesday, Nov. 29, the Nonprofit Institute at the College of Southern Maryland (CSM) and Southern Maryland Gives are having a celebration of social impact. Join nonprofits, philanthropists, foundations, social entrepreneurs, businesses and volunteers for a fun evening to share stories and mingle with others who are making a difference in Southern Maryland.
In St. Mary’s County, the groups will gather at the Olde Town Pub in Leonardtown from 4 to 7 p.m. The Olde Town Pub will donate 10 percent of sales from the entire day.
In Charles County, the groups will gather at the Red Oak Bistro in La Plata from 5 to 7p.m. The Red Oak Bistro will donate 10 percent of sales from its happy hour!
Organizers will collect business cards from nonprofits represented at each event, draw three cards, and the donation will be split among the three nonprofits.
Southern Maryland Gives on the web: www.southernmarylandgives.org
Like Southern Maryland Gives on Facebook:www.facebook.com/SouthernMarylandGives/
Follow Southern Maryland Gives on Twitter @SoMDGives
About the Nonprofit Institute (http://www.csmd.edu/community/institutes/nonprofit-institute/)
The Institute was launched in 2012 for the sole purpose of helping area nonprofit organizations become stronger by providing training, networking opportunities, and special programs.
The Nonprofit Institute provides many programs designed to meet an organization’s interests and needs. These programs include:
1) NPI Advisory Council
2) Executive Director Forums
3) Volunteer SoMD & SoMD Gives
4) Volunteer Coordinators meetings
5) Affinity advocacy meetings
6) Annual Conference
7) Free Experience, Advice, and Insight
• Annual Conference with over 150 attendees, 8 sponsors, and 6 exhibitors
• Over 50% increase in traditional training since August 2016
• Strong positive response for discounted webinar training that supports nonprofit informational needs and staffing limitations
• Initiated a faith-based affinity group to increase organizational awareness, better collaboration, and support for each other’s goals and mission
• Kicked off a Veterans Support Coalition group to reach out to veteran’s support groups to provide better collaborative regional assistance to our veterans
• Significantly increased NPI awareness in the southern Maryland region where coordinators are visiting 2- 3 nonprofits per week to address their needs
Contact Shertina Mack at s.mack@TheBayNet.com