La Plata, Waldorf, MD – Maintenance workers were replacing a pipe at Woodcrest Apartments, 300 Harford Street in La Plata Friday, Nov. 21 at approximately 12:20 p.m. when a torch ignited a propane line in the kitchen, causing a 28-year-old male to sustain burns to his hands and face.

According to Dfm. John Nelson, the victim was transported to Washington Hospital Center with non-life threatening burn injuries.

Nelson said there was an estimated $2,000 “very minor” damage to the apartment and did not extend beyond the area of origin.

La Plata Volunteer Fire Department responded to the three-story apartment building where they found the fire out upon arrival.

In another incident, one firefighter was transported to Charles Regional Medical Center in La Plata Friday, Nov. 21 for evaluation after helping to battle a blaze at 8865 Silverleaf Street, Waldorf after an unattended charcoal grill caused a fire that spread to the home, resulting in extensive damage around 10:45 p.m.

According to Dfm. John Nelson, the owner, Irvin Drummer, discovered the fire, which took 50 volunteer firefighters from Waldorf, La Plata, Bryans Road, Potomac Heights, Accokeek, Baden, Hughesville and Bel Alton approximately 15 minutes to bring under control.

The estimated loss is $150,000 to the structure and $50,000 to the contents.

The occupant was displaced and is being assisted by friends.

Contact Joseph Norris at joe.norris@thebaynet.com