At approximately 6 p.m. on Wednesday, April 29, fire units from the Naval Air Station, Patuxent River, Bay District, and Ridge responded to a working house fire in the 48700 block of Hatties Lane in Ridge.

Units arrived on the scene and there were visible flames from the manufactured home. The residents were not home when the fire started. However, sadly, the family dog perished in the blaze. Forty firefighters managed to knock down the fire in about 30 minutes.

Investigation revealed the fire was determined to be accidental, resulting from an electrical malfunction within the breaker box.

No injuries were reported. The family is being assisted by the American Red Cross.