CALIFORNIA, MD – A 90-year-old man was flown to a burn center with serious injuries after being pulled from a burning car, Thursday, May 24.

Around 1:30 p.m., units from the Bay District Volunteer Fire Department responded to the Wildewood shopping center in California for the report of a vehicle fire. Upon arrival, firefighters discovered a 2016 Hyundai SUV fully involved in a fire. Crews quickly extinguished the flames and EMS arrived to treat three people for injuries including the occupant, identified as Robert Oliver, 90, who was flown to MedStar Washington Burn Center. The cost of damage caused by the fire is estimated to be $15,000.

Oliver recently purchased gasoline from nearby WaWa to mow his yard and placed the gas container in the trunk of his vehicle, according to Office of the State Fire Marshal. Afterwards, Oliver stopped at the Bed, Bath & Beyond in California to shop. As he entered the vehicle,fumes from the gasoline ignited. Four citizens reacted quickly to extract Mr. Oliver from the burning vehicle and administer first aid.

In addition to Oliver, who was flown to MedStar Washington Burn Center, one citizen was treated at MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital for smoke inhalation and one was treated on the scene for minor burns to the arm.

Read the original story here.