A Baltimore man who fled in his vehicle when a trooper attempted to stop him for a traffic violation this afternoon was fatally injured minutes later in a car crash in Calvert County.

The deceased driver has been identified, but family has not yet been located and notified, so his name is being withheld. He is an adult male from Baltimore, who was the driver and sole occupant of a 2013 Mitsubishi Lancer. He was pronounced dead at the Prince George’s Hospital Center.

The other driver injured in the crash is identified as Ryan C. Fisher, 31, of Port Republic, Md. He is undergoing treatment for injuries he sustained at the Prince George’s Hospital Center. Fisher was the driver and only occupant of a 2010 Ford Escape.

Shortly after 3 p.m. today, Maryland State Police Trooper First Class Shareef Lewis, assigned to the Prince Frederick Barrack, was monitoring traffic in the crossover of Rt. 4 near Industry Lane. He observed the Mitsubishi northbound on Rt. 4, without a front registration plate. The trooper pulled onto Rt. 4, activated his lights and siren, and attempted to stop the Mitsubishi.

The preliminary investigation indicates the Mitsubishi initially pulled to the shoulder, but when the trooper’s car pulled behind, the driver accelerated and fled north on Rt. 4. The trooper notified the barrack and pursued as the Mitsubishi turned onto a side road, then onto Main Street in Prince Frederick. When the driver of the Mitsubishi came to the intersection of Main Street and Rt. 4, he turned left and proceeded southbound in the northbound lanes of the highway, swerving back and forth across traffic.

The barrack duty officer was monitoring the pursuit. When the driver of the Mitsubishi began driving south in the northbound lanes, the duty officer ordered the pursuit ended out of a concern for public safety. Moments later, the Mitsubishi struck the northbound Ford Escape driven by Fisher on Rt. 4 south of Sixes Road.

Emergency medical personnel responded to the scene. Two Maryland State Police helicopters flew both drivers to the Prince George’s Hospital Center.

The Maryland State Police Crash Team responded and is investigating the collision. The pursuit lasted less than three minutes and covered about three and one-half miles.

It is unknown at this time why the driver of the Mitsubishi refused to stop for the trooper. The investigation is continuing.