Leonardtown, MD – The Federal Aviation Administration has designated November 4-10, 2019 National Drone Safety Awareness Week. To recognize this week, there will be an evening of presentations and demos highlighting drone safety at the University of Maryland’s (UMD) Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Test Site located at the St. Mary’s County Regional Airport, 44181 Airport Road in California, Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at 5:30 p.m.
Presentations at the UAS Test Site will begin at 5:30 p.m., and will include the following:
• Demonstrations by UAS Test Site personnel of best practices for safe operation.
• An overview and demonstration of the Ultimate Safety Setup developed at the Test Site.
• Information about what to do—and who to contact—if unsafe operation is witnessed.
• A presentation by representatives of the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) on recreational drone use.
• A presentation by pilot and UAS fleet management expert Anthony Pucciarella, president of Alaris Pro and Mission Go.
• A presentation by the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office on the use of drones by law enforcement, including for traffic enforcement, location of missing persons, apprehension of suspects, detection of illegal drug operations, and surveillance of areas affected by criminal activity.
The event is free, and the public is invited to attend. Prior registration is requested. To register, please visit https://go.umd.edu/drone-safety.
For more information, please contact the St. Mary’s County Government Public Information Office at 301-475-4200, ext. 71340.