By Urvi Tandon
A wedding day is the most important day in a girl’s life. It is usually what she has dreamed of her entire life. And things must be just perfect for that day. A white wedding is the norm usually for weddings and most brides choose white for their wedding gown. Other colours are also worn, especially pastel shades, but mostly it is white. It would help if the following tips are kept in mind while choosing a wedding dress.
- Choose a dress according to the location. A short dress may not be suitable for a church wedding and a trailing dress will not suit a wedding on the beach.
- The fabric is also important. Most fabric can be worn throughout the year, but some fabric like organdie and linen go well in summer, while velvet and silk may be more appropriate for winter.
- Keep a budget for the dress in mind so that you can straightaway eliminate all the dresses out of your price range and save yourself the time and effort. Also you should know that you will have to pay extra for shipping, taxes, alterations, lingerie and embellishments, and these will all add up to a fair amount.
- Schedule your appointment with the dress salon and let them know roughly what you are looking for. It will help them to keep samples ready.
- Let the salon make recommendations. Sometimes an expert at the store may help you pick out just the dress you want.
- Visit the salon during the lean hours when the sales people will be more relaxed and the trial rooms will be free. If the salon is crowded, the attention of the sales people will be divided and they may not be able to make valuable suggestions.
- Take just one or two friends with you, or you will end up with many clashing opinions and no dress.
- Don’t go in with a dress size in mind. Wedding dresses are usually smaller in size.
- Most dresses take from five to eight months to be delivered and therefore you must shop in advance. Don’t buy a smaller dress promising yourself that you will lose a little weight. It may not happen and further, it is easier to take in a dress that is a little large than try and get into a smaller size.
Shopping for a wedding dress is usually once in a lifetime event. Enjoy the whole process.