SOUTHERN MARYLAND, Md. – The National Weather Service (NWS) has issued a winter weather advisory for Calvert County, with snow and severe cold expected through the weekend. Animal owners or custodians are required to provide the following effective immediately, through Sunday, Jan. 30, 2022:
- Dogs and cats should be brought inside. If a dog or cat is left outside, they must have free access to a solid structure that is heated or is set against the prevailing winds and allows the dog or cat to maintain their core body temperature.
- Livestock and farm animals should have free access to protection from the weather that allows animals to maintain their core body temperature.
- Livestock and farm owners should provide access to additional food to allow animals to recover from the loss of additional calories.
- All animals outdoors must be continually monitored for signs of distress.
- All animals must have access to clean, unfrozen water at all times.
Any person in violation of the requirements set forth in this alert may be subject to enforcement, which could include fines up to $1,000 or 30 days in jail.
To report concerns, citizens may contact the Animal Control Division at (410) 535-1600, ext. 2526, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. If the office is closed, reports may be made to the non-emergency line at (410) 535-3491.
To stay informed on approaching weather events, residents should monitor local television channels, radio stations and the Internet.