LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins selected linebacker Ryan Anderson in the second round (No. 49 overall) and defensive back Fabian Moreau (No. 81 overall) in the third round of the 2017 NFL Draft.
Anderson (6-2, 253) played in 57 career games at Alabama from 2013-16, recording 128 tackles (64 solo), 40.0 tackles for loss, 19.5 sacks, six forced fumbles and one interception, which he returned 26 yards for a touchdown.
Last season, Anderson earned first-team All-SEC honors from the Associated Press following a senior campaign in which he registered 61 total tackles, a team-high 19.0 tackles for loss, 9.0 sacks, four forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries and three pass breakups.
Anderson, 22, attended Daphne (Ala.) H.S., where he garnered all-state honors from the Alabama Sports Writers Association after a 105-tackle, 12-sack senior season in 2011. He was born Aug. 12, 1994.
Moreau (6-0, 206) appeared in 51 career games at UCLA from 2012-16, recording 148 tackles (98 solo), 26 pass breakups, three interceptions, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery. Last season, he received honorable mention All-Pac-12 honors from the league’s coaches after leading his team with 10 pass breakups and contributing two interceptions to a Bruins secondary that limited opponents to a conference-low 12 passing touchdowns.
Moreau, 23, attended Western H.S. in Davie, Fla., where he was named first-team All-County by both the Sun Sentinel and Miami Herald after contributing at both running back and wide receiver. He was born April 9, 1994.
NOTES ON THE SELECTION OF RYAN ANDERSON
- Anderson is the 457th selection made by the Redskins in the Common Draft era (since 1967) and the 37th second-round selection in that time frame. He is the 55th second-round selection by the Redskins all-time since the institution of the draft in 1936.
- With Anderson’s selection, the Redskins have now selected a defensive player with each of their last six second-round picks (DL Jarvis Jenkins, 2011; CB David Amerson, 2013; LB Trent Murphy, 2014; LB Preston Smith, 2015; S Su’a Cravens, 2016). It marks the team’s longest such streak in the Common Draft era.
- The Redskins have now selected a linebacker in the second round in four consecutive drafts (Trent Murphy in 2014, Preston Smith in 2015, Su’a Cravens – who played predominantly at linebacker as a rookie – in 2016).
- Including the selection of Alabama’s Jonathan Allen with the team’s first-round pick, the Redskins have now selected players from the same school with the first two selections of a draft since selecting Auburn’s Jason Campbell and Carlos Rogers with the team’s first two picks of the 2005 NFL Draft.
- By selecting Allen (10.5 sacks in 2016) and Anderson (9.0), the Redskins have now drafted players that accounted for more than a third of Alabama’s Football Bowl Subdivision-leading 54.0 sacks last season.
- The Redskins have now selected at least one pair of college teammates in four of the last seven drafts (Nebraska’s Roy Helu Jr., DeJon Gomes and Niles Paul in 2011; SMU’s Josh LeRibeus and Richard Crawford in 2012; Florida State’s Chris Thompson and Brandon Jenkins in 2013; Arkansas’ Martrell Spaight and Tevin Mitchel in 2015).
- The 2017 draft marks the fifth time the Redskins have selected a pair of teammates out of Alabama (1941, 1948, 1951, 1962).
- Anderson is the 23rd player from the University of Alabama selected by the Redskins all-time, joining B Riley Smith (1936), B Charley Holm (1939), E Sandy Sanford (1940), T Fred Davis (1941), G Ed Hickerson (1941), G Tony Leon (1943), B Bobby Jenkins (1945), T Fay Mills (1946), B Harry Gilmer (1948), B Lowell Tew (1948), T Dick Flowers (1949), E Ed White (1950), B Eddie Salem (1951), C Elliot Speed (1951), B Billy Hicks (1956), T Billy Neighbors (1962), E Tommy Brooker (1962), DB Steve Higginbotham (1972), DT Thomas Rayam (1990), T Chris Samuels (2000), G Arie Kouandjio (2015) and DL Jonathan Allen (2017).
- The Redskins have now selected members of the defensive front seven in each of the first two rounds of the draft for the first time since 2011 (LB Ryan Kerrigan and DL Jarvis Jenkins).
Anderson is the fifth player selected by the Redskins with the No. 49 overall selection all-time, joining E Elmer Dohrmann (1938), B Walt Trojanowski (1946), T Bob Wetoska (1959) and DB Vernon Dean (1982).
NOTES ON THE SELECTION OF FABIAN MOREAU
- Moreau is the 458th selection made by the Redskins in the Common Draft era (since 1967) and the 34th third-round selection in that time frame. He is the 64th third-round selection by the Redskins all-time since the institution of the draft in 1936.
- With Moreau’s selection, the Redskins have now selected a defensive player with their first three picks of a draft for the first time since 2009 (DE/LB Brian Orakpo in the first round, CB Kevin Barnes in the third round and LB Cody Glenn in the fifth round). Prior to 2017, the last time the Redskins selected a defensive player in each of the first, second and third rounds was in 1997 when the team picked DE Kenard Lang, LB Greg Jones and LB Derek Smith, respectively.
- Moreau’s selection marks the second straight season in which the Redskins have selected a defensive back with their third-round pick (Kendall Fuller, 2016).
- Moreau is the Redskins’ 15th selection of a player from UCLA all-time, joining E Dave Brown (1944), B Cal Rossi (1946 and 1947), E Roy Karrasch (1947), E Bill Clements (1949), B Joe Marvin (1952), T Gil Moreno (1956), C Art Kuehn (1975), QB Jay Schroeder (1984), RB Skip Hicks (1998), LS Jeff Grau (2002), FB Manuel White (2005), S Chris Horton (2008) and WR Terrence Austin (2010).
- Moreau is the fifth player selected by the Redskins with the No. 81 overall selection all-time, joining T Wally Merz (1957), E Jim Kenney (1959), G Derrick Dockery (2003) and TE Chris Cooley (2004).