Jail and Bail event at St. Mary’s College Relay for Life
St. Mary’s City, MD — More than 200 St. Mary’s College students, faculty and staff participated in the college’s 6th annual Relay for Life over the weekend. The event Saturday night, Feb. 28 through Sunday morning, March 1 took place at the Michael P. O’Brien Athletic and Recreation Center.
The event was the first of the 2015 Relay for Life season in the South Atlantic District. The goal was to raise $35,000.
Erin Chase, event co-chair, said, “Relay for Life of St. Mary’s College of Maryland has become a staple event on the campus and it’s such an honor to see the campus community come together for an entire night to fight back against cancer. The support of the students, faculty and staff gives hope that one day we will see a world without cancer.”
Erin has a personal interest in the battle against cancer. Her mother passed away in 2012 of stage 4 colon cancer and her father is a prostate cancer survivor. She said, “Our work may be over, but the fundraising doesn’t end there. We hope to have post-event fundraisers that allow us to raise even more money for the American Cancer Society. St. Mary’s is dedicated to helping the American Cancer Society fund their research and programs, and we want to be able to support them as much as possible.”
Morgan Strzegowski and Stephanie Carrol were event co-chairs with Chase and Joanne Goldwater and Lisa Cole served as faculty advisors.
Throughout the evening there were a number of events including;
• World competitions in the spirit of Amazing Race;
• Jail and Bail with Public Safety. For a minimum donation of $2 a relayer was arrested and jailed for 10 minutes. Their release was based on money raised;
• Pajama Lap to show off everyone’s comfy pajamas;
• Stuck for a Buck Faculty/Staff Fundraiser in which Dr. Scott Mirable, Dr. Sandy Ganzell and Joanne Goldwater were taped to the wall of the recreation court;
• Kelly Chase performed $2 “buzz cuts” for everyone wanting to clear up their mop;
• Entertainment including a Hawkette performance, an Improv Show, a Drum Corps Showcase, an A Capella Concert, Cornhole and Water Pong Tournaments and BINGO.
The St. Mary’s County Relay for Life event is scheduled for Saturday, June 6 to Sunday, June 7 at the St. Mary’s County Fairgrounds south of Leonardtown.
The Bay Net photos by Ron Bailey