Waldorf, MD – The Maryland State Fire Marshall determined that carelessly discarded smoking materials caused $20,000 in damage to a unit at Astor Senior Apartments, 3605 Moses Way, Waldorf at around 12:31 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 19.

According to Deputy Fire Marshal John Nelson, a sprinkler system in the apartment was activated and the fire was out by the time 40 volunteer firefighters from Waldorf, La Plata, Bryans Road, Hughesville, Accokeek, Baden and Bel Alton arrived on the scene.

Firefighters discovered smoke on the second floor of the apartment building with an activated fire alarm and sprinkler system.

A single sprinkler head activated in Apartment 223, extinguishing the fire, which originated in the bedroom.

The occupant of the apartment was still inside the unit, was removed by fire department personnel and transported to Charles Regional Medical Center in La Plata where the patient was treated for smoke inhalation.

Only the single apartment was affected by the fire and the building is still occupied.

Contact Joseph Norris at joe.norris@thebaynet.com