Update posted Dec. 28, 2014

By Marty Madden

California, MD – The Christmas Day fire at Lowe’s in California was caused by comingled combustibles that ignited, state officials reported. According to the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office the blaze was reported shortly before 1 p.m. and resulted in a loss of merchandise estimated at $10,000. There were no injuries reported.

“The accidental fire began in a trash container located in an aisle of the store,” Dfm. Melissa Decker stated. “The fire extended to nearby foam sheets and plywood which resulted in the activation of the sprinkler system, which quickly extinguished the fire. The local fire department[s] responded to the fire alarm activation and discovered the damage. There was no structural damage to the building.”

Thirty firefighters from Bay District, Hollywood and Naval District Pax River were dispatched to the store and brought the fire under control in 10 minutes.

Contact Marty Madden at marty.madden@thebaynet.com

Original story

California, MD — Units from the Bay District Volunteer Fire Department responded at just before 1 p.m. to a water flow alarm at Lowe’s in California. Upon arrival firefighters found the building filled with smoke and asked for additional units.  A small fire was found inside the building in aisle 20.  Firefighters advised they have the fire under control and will remain on scene for smoke removal.

The Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office has been requested to the scene.