PHOTO COURTESY OF ST. LEONARD VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT AND BRIAN BROWN (ScanMD)

Lusby, MD – A fire late Saturday evening, Feb. 13 heavily damaged a house in the Chesapeake Ranch Estates subdivision in Lusby, state officials reported.

The fire on Short Bow Trail was discovered by a resident of the home around 10:40 p.m. According to the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office, 40 firefighters from Solomons, St. Leonard, Bay District, Prince Frederick and Hollywood were dispatched to the one-alarm blaze and brought the flames under control in 20 minutes.

“The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental from an overloaded power strip in the basement,” Dfm. John Nelson stated. “The occupants were displaced and are being assisted by friends and family.”

Nelson and Dfm. B. Sheppard conducted the investigation. They identified the owner/occupant as Steven Carle.

No one was injured in the fire. Damage to the wood-frame, single-family home is estimated at $150,000.

Contact Marty Madden at marty.madden@thebaynet.com


Lusby, MD – At approximately 10:30 p.m. firefighters were dispatched to the 500 block of Short Bow Trail in the Chesapeake Ranch Estates subdivision of Lusby for a house fire. Sources report fire is showing in the rear of the residence.

Crews are reportedly working to control fire in the basement area. Both Southern Maryland Electric Cooperative and the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office have been requested to come to the scene.

More details as they become available.