INDIAN HEAD, Md. – On January 4, 2022 at approximately 11:44 a.m., firefighters responded to the reported house fire on Zenobia Place.

Crews arrived within about two minutes and found a two story single family dwelling with heavy fire involvement.

Engine 8-4 was used as the attack piece, as the driveway wasn’t suitable for any larger apparatus. After an interior attack was initiated, firefighters were evacuated due to structural collapse. The fire was under control in about an hour.

The occupant was alerted to the fire by smoke detectors installed in the residence and escaped without injury.  The fire was determined to be accidental, caused by a failure of the chimney.  The Red Cross is assisting the residents. No civilian or firefighter injuries were reported.

The estimated structure loss is $150,000.00 and contents of $50,000.00

This should serve as a reminder to clean your chimney regularly and have it professionally inspected. 

Photos courtesy of the Tenth District Volunteer Fire Department