LEXINGTON PARK, Md. — At approximately 12:17 a.m. on March 12, crews responded to reports of a shed fire at 47477 Southampton Drive.
Upon arrival to the scene, 10 Bay District Volunteer Firefighters discovered a shed located int the backyard of the property, which had accidentally caught fire after the owner tried burning a pile of leaves. The pile of leaves, which had been approximately 10 feet away from the shed, spread quickly and caused an estimated $250 in damage to the shed.
The occupant initially tried to extinguish the fire on his own, but sustained minor burns to his foot in the process. He was transported to MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital shortly after to receive treatment.
The cause of fire was ruled “accidental” and was able to be contained by units in roughly 10 minutes.
Contact our news desk at firstname.lastname@example.org