A Waldorf family learned the hard away about the perils of barbecue when the wind is gusting hard after grilling on Sunday when ashes from the grill ignited combustible materials causing a $350,000 house fire early Monday morning.

According to Maryland State Fire Marshall DFM Melissa Bean, the fire erupted at 4:44 a.m. at the two-story 2908 Henry Court home of Carl and Kimberly Remalia, destroying the home and causing $500,000 in damage.

The reports stated: “The accidental fire occurred on the rear deck of the residence as a result of charcoal grill ashes igniting combustible materials. Eight people were in the residence at the time of the fire, all escaping without injury. The house was completely destroyed and the family is being assisted by the American Red Cross.”

Forty-four firefighters from Waldorf, Accokeek, Brandywine, Bryans Road and Hughesville fought the blaze for 40 minutes before bringing the fire under control. Bean estimated the loss of the home at $350,000 with $150,000 in contents destroyed as well. The fire was discovered by the occupants.