Leonardtown, MD – The Piney Point Lighthouse Museum & Historic Park is proud to announce the grand opening of the recently renovated Museum Store. We will celebrate the opening on Saturday, May 27. Judy Sterling, a dedicated 4-year board member from the Friends of St. Clement’s Island and Piney Point Museum, will help cut the ribbon at noon. Local author Karen Gruber will hold a book signing and light refreshments will be served.

Karen Gruber, author of Postcard History: St. Mary’s County will be available from 11 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. during the Grand Opening event. Visitors can enter for a chance to win a signed copy of her book. We will also raffle a family 4-pack admission to the Piney Point Museum along with a watercolor art print of Piney Point, Lighthouse of Presidents on the Potomac River, St. Mary’s County, MD, created by illustrator Rob Thorpe for the Mid-Atlantic Lighthouses. As always, the lighthouse and museum will be open for visitors to tour.

The Piney Point Lighthouse, Museum and Historic Park implemented major store enhancements over the winter. The public is invited to view and enjoy the updated look and new merchandise now available. Also on site, the Potomac River Maritime Exhibit houses a collection of historic wooden work boats and state-of-the art exhibits which illustrate the history and culture of local watermen. The museum has exhibits relevant to the interesting history surrounding Piney Point, including the U-1105 Black Panther Historic Shipwreck exhibit.

The Piney Point Lighthouse Museum and Historic Park is open daily for the summer season from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. through September. Admission is $7 for adults, $3.50 for military with ID, senior citizens and kids 5 and under are free. The park area is handicap accessible and is open 7 days a week, sunrise to sunset.

The museum and historic park is managed by the Museum Division of St. Mary’s County Department of Recreation and Parks. It is located at the end of Lighthouse Road in Piney Point.

For more information, log on to the Museum Division website at
www.stmarysmd.com/recreate/museums or call the museum at 301-994-1471.