LEONARDTOWN, Md. – The Commissioners of St. Mary’s County (CSMC) hosted a joint meeting with the St. Mary’s County Board of Education on Tuesday, January 24, 2023. After the joint meeting, the Commissioners held their regular business meeting, beginning with the invocation and pledge, followed by approval of the consent agenda.
The Commissioners then presented a proclamation for National Mentoring Month, followed by the presentation of a commendation celebrating the dedicated service of a retiring county employee, Brian Gillingham.
The Commissioners then received a State of the College presentation from Dr. Yolanda Wilson, President of the College of Southern Maryland.
During County Administrator time, the Commissioners took the following action:
- Approved Hollywood Volunteer Fire Department’s request to hold a local public hearing on the proposed Fire Tax Rate increase for their service area.
- Approved the Department of Emergency Services’ request to approve the agreement between the Commissioners of St. Mary’s County and the National Medical Education and Training Center for the purpose of providing Paramedic students with actual clinical experience.
- Approved the Department of Economic Development’s request for a property tax credit for the Cedar Point Shopping Center.
- Accepted the Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy 2022 as presented by the Economic Development Commission.
- Approved the Department of Information Technology’s request for the purchase of the software, Prosecutor by Karpel.
- Approved the Office of the State’s Attorney’s request for four additional positions and a reclassification of one position.
The Commissioners then received a legislative update from the Office of the County Attorney.
The Commissioners of St. Mary’s County’s next regular business meeting will be Tuesday, January 31, 2023, at 9 a.m. CSMC decisions and related public documents are available on the county government website in BoardDocs. CSMC meetings may be viewed live Tuesday mornings on SMCG Channel 95 or as a replay Friday at 6:30 p.m. Meetings are also available for on-demand viewing on the St. Mary’s County Government YouTube Channel.