WALDORF, Md. – Charles County Public Schools (CCPS) high school math teams have wrapped up their competition season with Thomas Stone High School nabbing overall first place. The Thomas Stone team won this year’s competition with an overall total of 153 points, barely edging out second place finisher Maurice J. McDonough High School at the final meet.
Math teams compete monthly by completing a series of individual, team and relay questions. Scores accumulate during the year to determine an overall Charles County champion.
Thomas Stone’s winning team is sponsored by math teacher Adam Frisbee and includes members senior Jason Saavedra, junior Semaj Rascoe, senior Jacob Polis, junior Neko Ennis, senior Emily Martin, sophomore Adebola Akinwale and junior Casey Nutter.
Overall results are:
- Thomas Stone, first-place, 153 points;
- McDonough, second-place, 148 points;
- North Point High School, third place; 135 points;
- La Plata High School, fourth place, 124 points; and
- Westlake High School, fifth place, 104 points.
Monthly results are:
- November — La Plata, 35 points;
- December — McDonough, 27 points;
- January — Thomas Stone, 31 points;
- February — Thomas Stone, 28 points;
- March — Thomas Stone and McDonough, tie, 29 points.